Pearse Railway Station, Dublin


Posted By on Aug 10, 2018

Dublin Pearse is a railway station on Westland Row on the Southside of Dublin, Ireland. It is Ireland’s busiest commuter station and second busiest station overall (behind Dublin Connolly railway station) with 9 million passenger journeys through the station in 2016.   Services It is the terminus of the Northern Commuter to Balbriggan/Dundalk and Western Commuter to Maynooth/Longford. DART, South Eastern Commuter (Dublin Connolly to Gorey) and...

Read More

St. Patricks Cathedral, Dublin


Posted By on Aug 4, 2018

Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland, founded in 1191, is the National Cathedral of the Church of Ireland. With its 43-metre (141 ft) spire, St. Patrick’s is the tallest church (not Cathedral) in Ireland and the largest. Christ Church Cathedral, also a Church of Ireland cathedral in Dublin, is designated as the local Cathedral of the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough.   ...

Read More

Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin


Posted By on Jul 26, 2018

Kilmainham Gaol is a former prison in Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland. It is now a museum run by the Office of Public Works, an agency of the Government of Ireland. Many Irish revolutionaries, including the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising, were imprisoned and executed in the prison by the British.   History When it was first built in 1796, Kilmainham Gaol was called the “New Gaol” to distinguish it from the old prison it was intended to...

Read More

Blarney Castle and the Blarney Stone


Posted By on Apr 13, 2018

Blarney Castle is a medieval stronghold in Blarney, near Cork, Ireland, and the River Martin. Though earlier fortifications were built on the same spot, the current keep was built by the MacCarthy of Muskerry dynasty, a cadet branch of the Kings of Desmond, and dates from 1446. The Blarney Stone is among the machicolations of the castle. The castle originally dates from before 1200, when a timber house was believed to have been built on the site, although no evidence...

Read More

The Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary


Posted By on Apr 13, 2018

The Rock of Cashel, also known as Cashel of the Kings and St. Patrick’s Rock, is a historic site located at Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland.   History According to local mythology, the Rock of Cashel originated in the Devil’s Bit, a mountain 20 miles (30 km) north of Cashel when St. Patrick banished Satan from a cave, resulting in the Rock’s landing in Cashel. Cashel is reputed to be the site of the conversion of the King of Munster...

Read More

Muckross House is located on the small Muckross Peninsula between Muckross Lake and Lough Leane, two of the lakes of Killarney, 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) from the town of Killarney in County Kerry, Ireland. In 1932 it was presented by William Bowers Bourn and Arthur Rose Vincent to the Irish nation. It thus became the first National Park in the Irish Free State (now Republic of Ireland) and formed the basis of the present day Killarney National Park.   History Muckross...

Read More